- A whole whack of tennis balls (or a bunch of soft balls).
- A container to hold the balls.
- Pirates are outside the center circle in the gym, and the sailors are inside (with the container in the middle).
- Scatter the tennis balls all over the gym, and tell the sailors that it is their job to bring the balls back to the ship without getting tagged by a pirate.
- If a sailor is tagged while retrieving a tennis ball (“treasure”), then he sits down and turns into an octopus.
- Any octopus is now on the pirates’ team, and must try and catch other sailors as they run by.
- Change roles frequently.